Noar Hill

Unfortunately I haven't seen BH this year but I thought I might get my last chance today. There have been reports of reasonable numbers from Noar Hill in Hampshire in the last couple of weeks and the forecast for this morning was not bad. I set off about nine thirty but during the course of my half hour journey the cloud came over ensuring that adults were off the menu.

So I decided an egg hunt was in order. 
In the last couple of years my success at Noar Hill has been variable including last year when I found none at all in two visits.
However this time was much better finding 42 in about two hours searching from all over the site plus five old egg shells from this years hatch. A good number 10+  were outside the reserve itself along the lane to the north but it was disappointing to to see the hedgerow severely flailed on both sides up to the reserve which must have destroyed numbers of eggs.
It will be good to return in the winter, after the leaves have dropped, which will make it easier to count the eggs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment